Thursday, May 1, 2014

Baby Rosie!

Esther Rose Williamson is here! And, ya'll- she's super cute.

Though we did technically settle on a double name (which I'm sure no one but me will use consistently) she's already become known to her throngs of adoring fans as Baby Rosie. It seems to suit her perfectly.

We're two weeks & change into life as a party of five, and so far... we've survived. We can't blame any difficulties on Esther Rose, though. She is by far the lowest maintenance member of our family. And, as ridiculous as that sounds, I mean it from the bottom of my heart. She's the only member of our family who has not been on antibiotics for strep throat in the past two weeks. (Yes. That's right. ALL OF US got strep- starting with me 3 days before she was born, the kids the weekend after, and David a week after that. Then I got it again last week. I can't make this stuff up, people. It was brutal.) Rosie sleeps WAY more than any of the rest of us do. And yes, she does require feedings very frequently, but Henry & Maggie usually ask for food every 2 hours or so all friggin day, so that still feels pretty normal. She is the only one asking for food in the middle of the night though, but since she's so cute, we'll let it slide.

Henry and Maggie LOVE their new baby sister to smithereens and have already given her more kisses in the past 19 days that they have given me in the past YEAR. :) It's pretty sweet. Maggie loves to hold Rosie and requests to do so at least 4 or 5 times a day. Henry is taking his responsibilities as Big Brother very, very seriously. As if we would have expected any less from him. They've both been wonderful with Esther Rose.

And birth! Birth was... birth. Equal parts wonderful and horrific, as I suspect natural childbirth always is. From an objective standpoint, it was by far my easiest birth and the physical recovery has been amazing. From a more emotional standpoint, it was tough, just because it was not what I expected. I was induced at 39.5 weeks again, just like I was with Maggie, but with Maggie the pitocin drip IMMEDIATELY put me into labor and she was born about 3.5 hrs later.

With Rosie, the pitocin did... nothing. A big fat NOTHING. They started the drip at about 7am and I paced around the hospital room for the next 3 hours waiiiiiiiiting for something the start happening. I was having contractions, and they were every 3-5 minutes, but they were wimpy contractions. They just didn't hurt. And anyone who's had a baby knows... those things are supposed to hurt. The nurse came in every half hour or so and bumped up the pitocin to the next level, but still, nothing impressive was happening.

At 11:00 I gave up the pacing and laid down for a minute. And then FELL ASLEEP FOR TWENTY MINUTES. Dead giveaway that those contractions were useless.

At 12:00 I sat down on the bed and cried. I told David that IT WASN'T WORKING. It was official. I would be pregnant forever.

At 12:15 my doctor came in. I also told her that IT WASN'T WORKING. She checked me and reassured me that I had moved from 4cm to 6cm over the past 4 hours, so it was indeed doing SOMETHING. She said she'd go ahead and break my water, and we should have a baby in the next few hours. So I mentally prepared for a FEW HOURS.

At 12:25 she broke my water.

At 12:30 I had the Mother of All Contractions.

For the next 40 minutes I truly thought I was dying, and then at 1:09 pm on 4/4/14, after exactly four pushes, Esther Rose was born.

So, all in all, I was really only in labor for less than an hour. A torturous hour, sure, but only an hour! Less than! That's really not too shabby.

And she was totally worth it.
It's really bright out here, guys.
Mary Catherine stayed with Henry and Maggie pretty much the entire weekend that we were in the hospital (she is amazing. end of discussion.) so she rounded up the troops (aka the kids & practically my entire family) to come see Baby Rosie later that afternoon. David's parents came at the same time so it was truly a Welcoming Party.

Then they left.
And it was really, really, really quiet.
And awesome.

I was absolutely ready to go home on the second day, because I really missed Henry & Maggie, and because hospitals kind of creep me out a little, but I have to say that I enjoyed this hospital stay the MOST of all my post-partum stays.

It was just so quiet. So blissfully quiet. And people kept bringing me food and asking if I needed anything. And my nurses were amazing and kept bringing me beautiful gifts like ice water and ibuprofen. Except for the actual birthing part, it was basically like a spa weekend.

And then we got that baby girl dressed and brought her home. Where it's much louder and I'm not expected to stay in bed all day and there are no blessed nurses tending to my every need.

GULP. Wish us luck!!!

1 comment: